From: $100.00 (GST incl.)
This one day training course has been specifically designed for caregivers working in any care setting – homecare, aged residential care and hospital care.
The topics presented include: principles of palliative care, managing physical symptoms, care in the last 48 hours, communication, loss and grief, spirituality and self-care.
The aim of the course is to enable caregivers to improve their knowledge and understanding of palliative care.
Cost: $100 (gst incl.) per person per day
Light morning and afternoon tea provided, self-catering for lunch
At the end of Session One you will be able to:
- Define palliative care
- Describe why palliative care is needed and who may need it
- Discuss models of care and a holistic approach to care
- Explain what quality of care means
- Describe examples of ways of providing care
At the end of Session Two you will be able to:
- Understand your role in pain and symptom management
- Discuss the concept of total pain
- Describe how to assess symptoms
- Explain how to manage symptoms
At the end of Session Three you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of good communication
- Identify barriers to effective communication
- Feel more confident when faced with courageous conversations.
At the end of Session Four you will be able to
- Recognise deterioration
- Understand symptom management in the last days of life
- Describe the holistic nature of loss and grief
- Know the importance of self-care