Volunteer Community Companions support people receiving hospice care in their own home so that can remain in the community as long as possible.
The role is designed to promote and support the quality of life for Mary Potter Hospice patients who are living in their own home, as well as provide respite for carers to support their wellbeing.
- Being present even if the person does not want to talk or if they want to sleep
- Sitting with the person and talking
- Reading a book, article, letter or newspaper to the person
- Playing cards, board games, doing a jigsaw puzzle
- Supporting the person to do activity that is important to them
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Maturity and common sense
- Non-judgmental and open minded
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries
- Sensitivity, tolerance and empathy
- Self-care and stress management skills
- Works within Mary Potter Hospice’s policies and procedures
- Comfortable working with a diverse range of people
Up to 4 hours per week (across all patients)
Porirua (in patients home)
If you would like to be part of our team here at Mary Potter Hospice we would love to hear from you!